Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thank you for being a friend.

Yesterday, I found out that Estelle Getty passed away.  The spunky mom that taught me about eavesdropping and sarcasm while watching my favorite show on Saturday evenings.  (at least I think it was Saturdays)

That being said, memories of the show The Golden Girls, have been flooding my brain.  I've been humming the song since last  night.

Thank you for being a friend.
mumble-scrumble down and back again
Something, something, pal, and a confidant

And if you threw a party
iiiinvited everyone you kneeeew.
You would see the biggest gift would be from me.
aaand the card attached would say..
Thank you for being a friend.

Okay. Okay.  My memory isn't that vivid anymore because I haven't heard it in forever but, I got the last verse Right?!!?  My point is this... 

I have a relatively small circle of friends.   Friends that I can cry in front of, tell my thoughts to without having judgement (laughter probably, but still no judgement).  Friends that love me no matter what.  Friends that correct me or pray for me.  Friends that are willing to stop what they are doing despite their chaos to help me in my moment.  Friends that I could send the biggest gift to and sincerely attach Thank you for being a Friend as the card.

I guess what I'm saying is, in my mind, I haven't done a very good job of Thanking my Friends.  Not that a large gift is needed -just a simple gesture of love shown or a small note.  Listening instead of speaking first.  Hugging instead of trumping their day. 

So my challenge to myself for this week is to let my friends know that I love them!  My challenge to you....do the same.  Sometimes it's as little as making sure your problems aren't the first to be heard.

Extra Credit Challenge!!!  
I hope you are at least humming the song to understand my maddness.  Try to remember the words to the song.  DON'T CHEAT by looking it up on a lyrics page.  If you don't know the song... make it up!!! 

1 creams and sugars:

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Hey, Friend, someone challenged me to let my friends know that I love them...I love you!
Don't have a clue on the song lyrics...can hum it with the bst of 'em though ;)