Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Snippit

Today the youth took over the services!!!  We shared all of our Ecuador skits, dramas, videos, and dances.  I was in the dance part... Can you imagine?!?!?  I think I'm still catching my breath after 2 services.


During the 9:00 service, I shared my Ecuador Story.  Needless to say.. it didn't quite come out like the following.  I added some tears, took out a LOT of words and shook like a tree during a hurricane (Yes.  That bad.)  I think I made the point.  

This is what I was supposed to say.....

I went on this missions trip with the heart of seeing and experiencing new things.  I was planning on it happening while looking through my camera lens.  I love to witness and observe others as they experience life.  I find the little things in those situations through my pictures and hope to capture the moment so that I can remember why I took the picture and the person can remember what was happening at the time of the picture.

As we arrived in Quito, Ecuador and waited on the bus for a couple more of our bags to arrive at 1 or 2 in the morning…..One of the things that Joil asked of us was that we remember to be flexible.  Now…. In my mind that means one of two things:

1.  Flexible with my schedule which means at any point in time the plan could change and we’re just going toroll with it.  It’s the definition of unexpected and something that I thrive with.  After all… keeping people off of their schedule would help them experience new things.  New things that I could capture and share with others through my pictures.

   2. The second thing that flexible means in my mind is stretching.  That’s how you become flexible.  In order to be flexible you have to be in shape and be able to stretch and accomplish different things by pushing yourself outside of what you are comfortable with.  

 

I realized something while I was trekking through mud up to my knees and climbing a mountain I wasn’t in shape to climb.  God didn’t bring me on this trip to capture other’s moments while they were experiencing new things.  God brought me on this trip to take me out of my comfort zone – push me outside of what I was comfortable with.  This trip took me out from behind the camera lens.  God put me smack dab in front of students ½ my age while I danced and gave me joy and a new look at worship.  He placed me in front of a group of 20 + children to tell a bible story in a language they couldn’t understand but, he gave me an interpreter so they could.  He gave me children that were the same age as mine that looked at me with hungry eyes in search for love and all I could do was wrap my arms around them.  

When you think of a rubber band that is stretched at just the right amount… you notice it never goes back to what it was originally.  Sure, it still looks the same but its slightly altered maybe it has some marks on it where it was stretched. It’s also a little more flexible when you pick it up and stretch it again.  I may look the same but, I promise you, I have some marks from where I was stretched and honestly, I’m looking forward to the next time I’m stretched again. 

1 creams and sugars:

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Just this: I love you!