Monday, December 1, 2008

My Popi

**WARNING** CRY ZONE AHEAD!!!

I'm sitting in front of the computer with RAW emotions. It's been 2 days since my father called me to let me know that my Popi passed away. There are so many stories of laughter and tears that I can share about this man but, the one that's sticking in my mind is the last day that I talked to him.

He called the morning we were leaving my parents to return home from Thanksgiving. He was so excited that he was leaving the hospital that he was admitted into for observation on Thanksgiving night. He spoke to everyone of us - great grandchildren, too!

Me: Hello, My Popi!
Him: Hello, my grand daughter! I'm going home today.
Me: That's what mom said! What an answer to our prayers!
Him: You have a wonderful family, a wonderful man that will take care of you, I'm so proud of you and I love you!
Me: I love you too!!

I'm sure there was more conversation but, really that's all I remember. We went about packing the car and getting on the road. About two hours later is when I received the phone call from my father.

I have two things to comment on -
1. The nurse said that he was so strong and happy as she could tell he was talking to a bunch of small children and letting them know how excited he was about going home.

2. After I got over the initial shock, I was reliving the conversation I had with him. Home has two connotations- especially to believers and I truly believe in my heart of hearts that my Grandfather, a man of great wisdom and faith, knew which home he'd be going to. With that I can smile and know that angels are rejoicing as we cry tears of grief.

I'll be MIA for a while again.
Keep my mother in your prayers. Without going too much into her story... I don't know how much more she can take.

2 creams and sugars:

Fuschia said...

I love you!
I will absolutely call you this afternoon.

Joanna said...

Oh Rho! So sorry! Wise man indeed. Wanted his last words to be joyful and happy.

Praying for you.