Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fuschia's Cookie Swap

Okay... Fuschia says...List your favorite cookie recipe. So Rho says.... Okay!

This recipe is from the Philippines. Growing up I spent 2 years overseas with my family that I remember. While in the Philippines we had a housekeeper and these were her special cookies. Sadly, we lost touch after we moved back to the States. But, when I make these cookies I think of her every time!

Mila's Boiled Raisin Cookies

1 1/2c. raisins
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. shortening
3 beaten eggs
2 Tbsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt

Simmer raisins w/ water about 10 minutes or until the water is almost completely absorbed. Cool raisins. Cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs, vanilla, flour, soda and salt to the shortening mixture. Add raisins. Chill dough. (Mila used to take a shower) Roll dough into balls and drop the cookie balls into 1/2 c. sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

I haven't made these yet this year so, I don't have the yummy picture. If you want to... you can leave the raisins out (Hubby prefers it that way... I like it with raisins - Go Figure) These are almost like a cake-like cookie.

Go see Fuschia for more yummy recipes and helpful hints.

6 creams and sugars:

Fuschia said...

These sound delish! I love warm raisins, like in oatmeal...yummy.

Anonymous said...

JoJo's gonna need to know how to make the sugar cookies this year, please!

Joanna said...

Drool, da-rool! ;)

RhoDelta said...

JoJo... Which ones?!?! The super soft ones or the plain 'ole ones.

Anonymous said...

Super soft, please.

PS - I knew the name of those cookies sounded familiar but I couldn't remember how...until I realized I had forgotten about Mila Breakfast!!!

Anonymous said...

These sound wonderful. I saw the urgent prayer request for your friend and her husband and will pray.