Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Something New.

I tried something new this year.
I gave the kiddos $15 dollars, a list of people and set them loose in the dollar tree. Who'd a thunk it would give them joy to spend their own money to buy people Christmas gifts?!!? It all started because Monster made the comment of..."Uhh.. Mom?! When you buy someone a present will you let us know what it is - So we're not surprised when they open it?" THEN while in the Dollar Tree while trying to pinpoint something exact, I found a friend of mine monitoring her children shopping for gifts. I put two and two together and Voila! We have the Christmas shopping extravaganza.

It was absolutely adorable to "watch" them go up and down the aisles. Their gifts were thoughtful and I think possibly, will be the most treasured. I pushed my cart around and they kept checking in on me. It was GREAT!

I was able to enjoy watching the gift shopping experience. It wasn't a fight or a bother to hunt down what was on the "list". There was no stress, no crazy-ness, and best of all NO sibling fighting!

Our next step was the gift wrapping experience. Now that. I could've left alone. Especially because of the polar opposites I have in children. Monster all but had the ruler out for exact measurements and Buggy... Well, I'm one roll of tape short now. But, THEY did it. They were involved in the gift giving and getting process. Which taught me (and them) some lessons of the heart.

How do you handle the children's gift giving?

2 creams and sugars:

Anonymous said...

That has got to be one of the cutest things ever. Any kids I MIGHT be having over the years are SO coming to do some schooling at the House of Rho.

Fuschia said...

I love the Dollar Tree idea; after my centerpiece finds, it's my favorite store.

We used to just give them a dollar amount for each person and let them pick whatever. The last two years have been such slim pickens we pretty much had to do away with them giving to each other and to us.