Monday, November 24, 2008

What's your Ark?

ARK - That one thing in your life you're not willing to quit on regardless of the laughter around you.

Hubby & I teach a small group on Wednesday nights. Personally, I think, Hubby does the teaching and I'm the one that plays "smiling wife" and asks the clarifying questions, when his notes get a little "higher order" but, we're in it together so, I guess WE'RE teaching. (This sooo ADD for me! Sorry) Okay.. back to the story.

This past Wednesday we were talking about Faith. Noah's faith to be exact. (Genesis 6: 9-22)
Can you imagine, hitting your retirement age and getting a message to build a contraption in the middle of the desert. Just measurements and instructions. AND THEN Noah..replies with NO "Whys?", NO arguments, He just completes the task.

We really don't get a glimpse over what happened conversationally during the time it took for Noah to build the Ark but, knowing how cruel people can be when you set out to do something right in the Eyes of the Lord, one can only guess the comments.

"Dude, what's THAT for?"
"Noah, Are you sure he said ARK?"
"You missed the boat" (no pun intended)

See, in the time of Noah. He was the righteous one. There were no others and God was through with dealing with the corruption. God gave him specific instructions on how to build his ark. God was specific on how he was to fill the ark.
Not once in all of that did Noah say...
"Ummm, God, I can't do this... see Christmas is coming and I need to.." .
or
"..I've just got a couple more things to do and then..."
or
"riiight, you want me to do what?"
or
"But MY friends...."

He. just. built. it. He had faith that HE and his family would be taken care of. The instructions were God given and specific.

Now... do I think that the conversations never took place? That Noah never doubted or even spoke out questions? In the world of Rho... I'm not sure. I do know that it wasn't important enough to make it into the Great Instruction Booklet (aka THE Bible) which in my mind means.. it's not that important because at the end of the day and chapter...Noah finished what God had asked him to do. He built his Ark... Regardless of the laughter around him.

Which brings me to this. What's your Ark? What's the one thing that you know in your heart of hearts that you need to do. Stepping out in Faith. Knowing that God will show up. Regardless of the laughter. Regardless of the things that are happening around you.

Mine is demonstrating a marriage that can be healed. Stepping out in faith to start a marriage ministry.

2 creams and sugars:

Fuschia said...

I'm not sure we can still be friends.

JK Great post!

Beachy Mimi said...

Oh, great post!