Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day.

A day of "rest" for the working.

Yet, advertised as a time to catch up on all of the projects you didn't finish before the end of summer.

We went swimming with friends and then went to Mimi's for dinner.  So there was No labor for the House of Rho.  I did attempt to do laundry and fizzled out by the 2nd load.  Which reminds me.. I need to switch those out so I don't wash them 3 times.

I was talking yesterday to a friend regarding ministry and busyness.  

The under current was... Is it wrong to consider your family a ministry? 

The House of Rho has a very busy schedule.  The kiddos are involved in only one sport each and that's for the year.  We have Church on Wednesdays and Sundays.  Then add in obligations such as work, extended family, friends, church meetings, and school--- and you end up with only 2 family dinners at home per week.  So, when is it okay to say... "No, I'm working on my family ministry?"  

These are the times that are the most influential of our children.  They notice when or if we make it to every game, practice, or school performance.  They need us here to bounce off ideas and get Godly advice.  They need us available to offer consequences and encouragement.  

So, I guess my question is.....  How do you juggle it?  
..... When do you with guidance say... I'm sorry, I need to minister to my family?  
..... Even when you know there is a call to be involved in more?
 OR 
..... You know that nobody else will step up and take the torch so, by default you volunteer?

I know the standard answer is pray about it and trust me, we do.  The difficulty for us is to find the correct balance.

2 creams and sugars:

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

For us it is God. Spouse. Kids. Others. Period.
We are constantly checking the pulse of our family. Because of that we are able to detect even the faintest of murmurs, LONG before we're the midst of a full blown attack.
THIS is why you hear us say "no" frequently. Ya know what, it gets easier and easier to say!
And let me say this: one of the qualifications of a deacon (BTW: deacons were the ones that served food...not ran the church!)is that they rule their children and own houses well. (I Tim. 3:12)
It's obvious what God desires us to do.
Sorry for the exposition...shoulda emailed you ;)

Joanna said...

Peace is suppose to be our umpire. If taking something else on - do you have the grace for it?

Family is suppose to come first. Everything else falls second. Just because the answer is no now doesn't mean it's always no. When I sit still and ask God what HE wants done I'm always amazed that His list is a lot shorter than what I thought it would be. But once I cover those things on the list - keeping my priorities - then the door opens to take on other things.

What are you at peace with? If you're losing your peace watch out! We can get so busy doing the Christian things but still miss what God called us to do.

All you can do is answer for yourself and what's right for your family. What's okay for mine won't be the answer for others.