Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Great Leader....

Today scares me.  

Not so much of who will be put into office, I'm confident my God will shine no matter what.  But, of how the people in this nation will follow.

Will they revolt and rebel over the vote or will they silently stew and plan behind closed doors?

I've had the thought of a great leader in my head for some time.  
  • A leader that will listen and answer on his time which will be the best time for me - regardless of how much I think in the now.
  • A leader that will comfort and guide in troubled times.
  • A leader that will love unconditionally and one that is made to be followed.
You see... I think as we lose hold of what we believe in.... we lose our ability to follow the correct leader.  

We've also lost our ability to respect authority.  
I have a student that stated.... "Ms. D.... if Person X is elected, I won't be here on 11/5 so I just wanted you to know.  
My response... "Student... that's not really repectful."  
Him.... "Oh, I'll respect him."  
Me..."Really?  Because not showing up to school because you didn't get your way isn't very respectful.  Our country  thought that the candidate was the correct leader and for that you should follow.  It doesn't mean you have to like him... it just means that you need to respect him."  
Him.. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Can you guess how many conversations I've had like that with the adults?!?!

For my Bloggy Buddies.... I teach middle school CIVICS... so this election has weighted my heart down.  I've listened to responses that are parroted from parent to student for 3 months.  I've kept my mouth closed in discussions that truly break my heart as I see the view point of my colleagues.  In fact, in all truth besides names, I've not said much about this election.  It's what I haven't said that the students are learning....

  1. I haven't sided outwardly for a candidate.  My students ask me daily.... my response??!? "I want you to choose your leader on your own.  My job is for you to understand the workings of our nation not my opinions."
  2. I've talked more about the right to vote which means the right to "complain".  If you don't take the process seriously and participate you don't have a right to disagree.
  3. I've talked alot about respecting the leaders of our nation.  Including the President - even if you don't care for them, people who are fighting for our country - even if you disagree,  and lastly about the candidates that are seeking the position - even if you have a preference.
I don't know where all of this is supposed to go.  I just know I'm frustrated with alot of the attitude I see in our nation.  The President is the leader of our nation.  He has a lot of responsibility and decisions to make that could change our way of life. 
 But, My God is BIGGER.  
He'll keep me safe.  My true leader gives me hope, promise, and love on a daily basis.  He puts me on a path of understanding and gives me wisdom when I ask for it.  He'll never lead me into a battle that I'm not prepared for.  My job is to make sure I follow whole-heartedly.  
God places people of authority around us -  Deacons, Pastors, Presidents, Bosses... you name it.  It truly doesn't matter your position somewhere....there is always someone in authority over you.  Thank Goodness I realize the top of the chain and know him personally.

Rambling is good for the brain... at least mine.

1 creams and sugars:

Fuschia said...

Kuddos to you!