Friday, May 16, 2008

Letting them get to you.

I went to bed early.  I wasn't up to being sociable and far from sharing.  I was up at 11:00 and 4:30.  


I had a student say the unmentionable to a beginning teacher who although displays confidence in the classroom questions herself quite often outside of it.  I can't shake it.

The short version of the situation (warning opinions and strong language is going to come out)

The mouthy student of all year left to go to the "bathroom".  I put that in quotes because it was most likely to answer a text message and/or have a conversation in the hall.  At the point she left her desk a one dollar bill fell on the floor.  Mind you, I was helping other students so, I did not see said dollar fall.  Nor did I see the student that she's been verbally abusing all year (and he's returned the favor) pick the dollar up.  Upon return.... she starts in on the student about stealing her dollar which she then snatches out of his hand, stands up takes his pencil breaks it in half, and returns to her seat and says.....

HER "What are you going to do about this?"
ME "Do about what?"
HER "He stole my dollar"
ME "Didn't you just get it back?"
HER "But, he STOLE it!"
HIM "It was on the floor!!!!"
ME  "Do you have the dollar now?"
HER  "Yes.... I don't know why I bother... you're not a real teacher anyways."
ME  "A real teacher?" (enter thoughts....probably not.  A real teacher would've written you up the first day of class or the time that you chose to refuse to do certain assignments, or the time that you told me to hold on you were in the middle of a conversation, or the time......"
HER  "Yeah, you never do the things a real teacher would do..oh never mind, I'll get back to work"
(thoughts again....once again, she's probably right.  I put up with more from her only because she's had conflict with all of her other teachers.  I make sure that she's succeeding in class when I give her unwarranted extended time and reasons to finish things)
ME:  "I see"
......Later in class....
(me standing in the front of the room to get attention after activity)
Random Student #1 - Shhhhh... Ms. D wants to say something.
Me "Naaaa... I'm just standing up here.  I'm not a real teacher.  Get back to what you were doing."
Her (instant glare)

She got to me.  What can I say?  After almost 10 months, I finally lost my "cool".  I really wanted to lay into her.  I really wanted to carry on with what Real Teachers do.  Instead I voiced sarcasm, and didn't do a thing.  I'm racking my brain on how to deal with it because one on one's just don't work with her.  If I let her know how hurt I am, it'll give her even more power.  She's the only student I've had all year who hasn't had some change in attitude or response to me over the year.  Regardless of what I've done.  She's rude, mouthy, feels like the world should cater to only her, and consistently challenging me.  

Where does the authority rule come in?  When does seven times seven stop?

Ugggh... okay.  Enough.  



1 creams and sugars:

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Consider yourself double hugged!!!!!

Remember,they are only children, and children just happen to be the cruelest beings on the planet!

What's her name? I'll have a word with her mama!